Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Nothing after 24 hours

WARNING: Portions of this blog are laced with my personal intuition and interpretation of innuendo, and NOT based on cold hard facts.

Well, 24 hours has come and gone, and we haven't heard anything from the office of Superintendent Tarzian. I assume we'll hear about all 3 issues by Friday.

I think it's interesting that I haven't received ANY feedback from anyone regarding item #3 from my list of concerns that I presented to Superintendent Tarzian. After I pointed out the law to Kathy Rodeman, her only comment seemed to be "I'm sorry that we weren't able to resolve your concerns.", and an assurance from the district attorneys that they were correct in their application of enrichment time (item #2 from my list).

When we talked to Superintendent Tarzian, I explained each of my concerns with her, and then we talked about issues #1 and #2. Her only question regarding item #3 was to clarify that I was referring to the lottery for the limited number of tuition waivers, and not the lottery for the limited number of spots in 5-day full-day programs. Other than that, there was no mention of the issue.

Possible interpretation:

Issue #1 is a communication issue. We agree on the interpretation of the law, and the application.

Issue #2 is an interpretation issue. I'm confident in my interpretation, and they are confident in theirs. Application will be determined once a third party determines the correct interpretation.

Issue #3 is an application issue. I'm guessing that our interpretation of the law is the same, but they recognize that the proper application of this law is going to cost them a lot of money. Consequently, I'm guessing that they are scrambling to try and figure out what their options are, and don't want to comment on the issue until they do.

No comments: