Thursday, November 15, 2007

Rep. Sara Gelser

Almost immediately after sending my emails to Representative Sara Gelser and Senator Frank Morse, I recieved two email replies from Julie Catala (I've only included one).

Hi Ron, thanks for copying me on this.

Julie



Within hours, Representative Sara Gelser had sent me two emails.  The first was a reply directed to Denise and myself.

Dear Ron and Denise,

Thank you for your letter. I have just sent a letter to Barbara Cruickshank and to Morgan Allen (the legislative liason for the Oregon Department of Education) requesting information about when the final opinion might be available. I copied you on the email, so hopefully you will be included in the response. However, I will be sure to let you know what I learn.

Thank you for writing. Please don't hesitate to contact my office again if I can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,
Sara

Representative Sara Gelser
House District 16 (Philomath, Corvallis)
Capitol Line: (503) 986-1416
rep.saragelser@state.or.us
http://www.leg.state.or.us/gelser



The second was an email to Barbara Cruickshank and Morgan Allen at the ODE that Rep. Gelser had copied us on.

Dear Barbara and Morgan,

Today I received a letter from a constituent requesting more information about the statutory authority of school districts to charge tuition to low income families for full day kindergarten. It is my understanding that the family has worked directly with the Corvallis School District (509J), and that ultimately a request was made to ODE in June for advice on this matter. The family agreed to postpone a previously scheduled appeal hearing in order to allow the district to receive this guidance.

I am told that in August, the Department received an initial letter from the Department of Justice. However, it is my understanding that at that time the Department was awaiting a review of this opinion before releasing the DOJs guidance to Corvallis 509J and the family.

Can you please advise me of the expected date of receipt of the final opinion from the Department of Justice? I understand that the family has been working with the district on this issue since last January, and are eager for a resolution. I understand that it sometimes takes a period of time to receive an opinion back from the Department of Justice. However, because the issue has been sitting with ODE and DOJ for five months, I am hopeful that a resolution may be found soon.

Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help get this information released to my constituent and my local school district more quickly.

Thank you in advance for your help. I have attached Mr. Bjarnason's correspondence below for your reference.

Sincerely,
Sara

Representative Sara Gelser
House District 16 (Philomath, Corvallis)
Capitol Line: (503) 986-1416
rep.saragelser@state.or.us
http://www.leg.state.or.us/gelser



This morning I recieved a copy of the reply from Barbara Cruickshank to Rep. Gelser.

Dear Rep. Gelser,

I am uncertain as to the status of the kindergarten tuition issue with Corvallis School District. Perhaps Morgan Allen can give you a timeframe for an opinion from the Department of Justice. I have included Cindy Hunt in my response in case she can shed some light on this outstanding issue.

Barb Cruickshank
Oregon Dept of Education
(503) xxx-xxxx
(503) xxx-xxxx Fax
----@state.or.us

No comments: